Monday, October 08, 2012

Bringing Back Decoupage

I played with decoupage on Saturday. 

When I was younger and obsessed with having pictures on everything that pictures could go on, I used to decoupage. I'd decoupage pictures on boxes, stools, mugs, you name it. Looking back, my projects were amateur at best, but a good effort.

Figuring my skills might have matured a bit, I tried again.

This project was inspired by Molly (who also taught me how to start a blog, thanks Molls!).

For every holiday, Molly always has a simple and cute craft on a table in her condo. I'm pretty sure she has one of these spelling "LOVE" for Valentine's Day, or some version of this. 

I wanted to make one for Fall.

I bought some wooden letters and tissue paper.

I had some leftover Modgepodge from my adolescent days (this stuff lasts forever!).

I tore up some tissue paper and started painting...


A last-minute tutorial I read warned me that it might not adhere to already painted wood (the only way they sold the letters), but luckily it stuck really easily and I had no problems there.


The great part about decoupage is there is a lot of room for error - wrinkles add texture, rips can be smoothed out, etc...


I let it dry over night...


And ended up with this cute splash of Fall!


Can anyone else not stop buying the mini-pumpkins and gourds that are sold everywhere you look?


1 comment:

  1. Katie, I just finished catching up on your posts and I am so so impressed with you and all you've accomplished in 7 months! You are truly an inspiration. Looking forward to reading how you 'live for today' for the next 5 months. Keep it up! xoxo Al

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!