Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Horton's Kids Halloween Party

I'm trying to vary my volunteer opportunities. It's fun to try new things and it challenges me. How hard would it be to volunteer at a race every month? 

I was scheduled to help a school with their garden last weekend but I've technically already pulled weeds (in August) so I was thrilled when I found the offer to help out at a Horton's Kids Halloween Party and happily forwent the day with the weeds. 

Horton's Kids is a non-profit organization that provides tutoring, mentoring, and other activities to needy kids in the Anacostia neighborhood of DC. It was founded by a UVA grad in 1989 so the UVA Service Club does many events with this organization. 

The party was at the Cannon House Building (House of Representatives) in DC which was so cool! We were spilling glitter on the seats and giggling about how some important guy would have glitter on his butt on Monday morning. 

I was so impressed with how much Horton's was able to provide for the kids. 

Each child got a costume.


There were tons of games and activities like arts and crafts...



Mummy making....



Balloon volleyball...



Face-painting...




Fortune-telling....


And tons of pizza...


There were probably close to 100 kids, the time literally flew by, and I think we made just a couple kids' day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!