Saturday, November 17, 2012

Operation Christmas Child

This year I heard about an incredible organization called Operation Christmas Child. They organize a collection of shoe boxes of holiday gifts to be sent around the world to needy kids. The pictures on the website of the kids receiving these boxes are beyond heart-warming!

Apparently I've been ASLEEP for the past 10 years because everyone knew about this charity except for me. I'd never made it past the angel trees in the mall.

Anyway, when I heard about it, I got the best idea for a holiday gathering. Ever.

I invited friends over to my house and asked them to bring items for a shoe box so we could assemble together. OCC suggested little things like toy cars, stuffed animals, school supplies, stickers, balls, toothpaste and toothbrush, and socks.

We of course had yummy snacks and drinks to ensure a very merry evening.

But by far the best part of the night was the BOXES.

Everyone found some great gems in their shopping including Fashionista Barbie and Decorate-Your-Own-Tube-Of-Toothpaste (...is this popular????)


We sat around and shared our goodies for our boxes...





photo bombed some pictures...


(Side note: While this man below did generously contribute not one but two boxes, he shopped for ZERO of the contents for them - good thing I love Target. And yes he has a beard. It's Movember.)



This is my box!



All wrapped and ready to go...


Look at all those boxes! I'm getting 3 more today. And taking them to the drop-off location tomorrow to be sent in time for the holidays.


This is definitely going to be a new tradition and YOU are coming next year! :)

2 comments:

  1. Great job Katie! I love it!! So sad we missed it, next year we're in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never leave comments because i read your blog through Google reader which makes leaving comments difficult, but I had to comment on this one this was SO fun and such a GREAT idea for a get together. You're the greatest! Go Katie!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!