Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Hut Trip

When I moved out here, I technically knew - in real life - one person my own age. Her name is Brennan and she is fantastic. I knew her through Missy and she used to live in DC before she moved out here.

Here were are.



She, like everyone else I've met here, is so welcoming, and graciously invited me along on a backpacking hut trip with her friends to celebrate her boyfriend Ben's birthday.

I didn't really know what I was doing at all. But I packed up my bag and joined the group.

We hiked up 3.1 miles. Took us about 3 hours.

It was rather humbling for me. It was not easy. The altitude made it difficult for me cardiovascularly. We went up 1500 ft in 3.1 miles to 13,000 ft. And I had 30 lbs on my back.



Luckily it was a leisurely trip and we took it slow and steady. 

After a couple of water and snack breaks, we finally saw our hut...which was clearly not so much a "hut," but more of a beautiful log cabin.

It didn't have electricity or running water, just a glorified outhouse, so I guess that's why it was called a hut.



This was our porch that we spent most every second on. 




I joined the boys for an off-roading adventure as soon as we got there. The girls wanted to start drinking wine but, quite frankly, I can do that in Virginia.






Ya know how girls on Facebook post the pictures of their feet in the sand at the beach? 

Here is my version...



The hut had a communal room of cots. I chose the one next to the window.


I made lots of new fun friends.







 And then unfortunately we had to leave the next day.




But there is no question I will be back. And if you come visit, I will bring you. :)

1 comment:

  1. yay! new friends! looks amazing. i love your "feet in the sand" picture...might need to be your new blog picture. xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!