Friday, June 13, 2014

Katie's Dream Road Trip 2014

Sigh. I just returned from a road trip that I've been dreaming of for many, many years - longer than just one for sure. I've always wanted to drive the west and see the beautiful mountains, rocks, and countryside. I have so much more to do and see, but this was enough to keep me content at least for a little while. 

If you follow me on Instagram, you've seen many of these pics already, but there are more! And if you don't have Instagram, seriously, just get it now. It's the best. 

I started out my trip with 2 friends from school, Meghan and Sarah. We headed west to Glenwood Springs, CO, a place with great hiking and a big hot springs pool to cool off in afterwards. 

First we hiked Hanging Lake. 






Then we laid in the hot springs, getting an exfoliation at the same time from the sulfur in the water. It's amazing. 



Then sadly my friends had to drive back to Denver while I continued west to Moab. On my way, I passed a sign for the CO national monument, and remembered Amanda's beautiful pictures from it, so I veered off and made a quick pit stop. 





A couple hours later I arrived in Moab, UT. I know, as a former Girl Scout of America and proud Gold Award recipient, I should not be THAT proud to set up a tent. But I was SO PROUD to set this up myself. I was probably most nervous about camping alone, but it was totally great! I stayed at a busy campground and wasn't scared at all. 



I woke up early because everyone warned me that I needed to hike early seeing as Moab is in the desert (well and can you really sleep in while camping?). I drove down the road to Arches National Park and hiked the arches for about 6 or so hours. I'm not sure what to say about this place. It's stunning. I can't believe these arches are in America. And that they're natural. You just have to go.  













Next stop - Crested Butte, CO. A town that I'd heard tops Vail or any other beautiful mountain town you've seen. However, no one told me it was SWITZERLAND in America! It seriously looks just like it, except for the trees. Absolutely breath-taking.





I explored the town that evening, slept in a great hostel, and woke up early to start my mountain bike trek. Probably one of the coolest things I've ever done! Biking trails while looking at this scenery, with purple and yellow wildflowers up to my knees. 








Much to my mom's disappointment, I am not going to now sit safely on my couch in Denver (her first choice actually is to safely sit on my couch in Arlington, but Denver is second). I am off to Switzerland Thursday! I have lots, lots to do before then, including move everything I own except for furniture out of my apartment so the subletter can move in (and pay my rent this summer, thank you very much). 

Next time I see you, I'll be across the ocean! Happy Summer!! 

-K



1 comment:

  1. Katie, I know you are going to Switzerland but PLEASE add Jackson Hole to your travel list. If you like Crusted Butte, you will LOVE Jackson Hole/Grand Teton National Park for all it has to offer and all the great outdoor activities. Especially rafting down the Snake River. PS if you aren't sure who this is just remember whole played soccer as #17 :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!