Hello from Lugano! I am here and getting settled and wanted to do a quick post about the first couple of days.
I lucked out with housing this year. I live in the apartment of the former regular school year headmaster, which as you can imagine, is pretty nice!
It can fit about 5 of my Denver apartments inside of it, no joke.
I am having to remind myself to go out into the living room and enjoy it, since I am not used to having so much house, and forget it's there.
There are 4 balconies and 2 bathrooms.
When I first arrived, I was using the bathroom, wondered where the shower was, and thought, "Holy crap, I have two bathrooms! I wonder where the other one is!"
This is the kind of excitement that comes from living in 275 square feet.
This is my bedroom, which itself is larger than my studio in Denver...
...which is purposefully a view of the entire campus, including all student dorms, so that I can see the kids tying bedsheets to the balcony at night and crawling down. I just might include a picture of this view in my initial PowerPoint. :)
I am the Dean of Students this year. This position deals with most of student life, including discipline, dorm life, parent communication, and other administrative tasks.
It's tough to go to sleep at night when your other option is enjoying this view!
One last view picture, this is the walk to get from my apartment to my office on campus.
Here is my office...it's called Casetta, and is located in the middle of campus so that I am most easily accessible to students who want to sign out to go to town/collect their ipad that they left out and we took/argue about detention/show me a picture of the skanky backless dress they would like to wear to the Garden Party but most certainly cannot wear to the Garden Party/etc.
I am slowly figuring out my job. It's slightly challenging coming back after 5 years to be part of admin, when many teachers/counselors have been here the past 2-3 years and know much more than I do about various parts of the program. I am trying to learn all the new changes (new dorms, new procedures, new trips, etc) while exuding some sort of confidence/competence. But just in the last day I've begun to feel much more comfortable with it all, so I think this first week will be the hardest.
This whole week is orientation and kids come Saturday. I'll try to take lots of pics!
Happy Summer :)
-K
Beautiful!! You'll be great in your new role. Enjoy every moment!!
ReplyDelete