Saturday, February 23, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

My dear friend, Michelle, who lives in Atlanta and I don't get to see NEARLY enough, has an adorable blog 6 in the morningside. I get many ideas for new things to cook from this blog. She is top-notch and I am lightyears away from her level, but it's great practice and most of the recipes are pretty easy. 

I organize a huge standardized test every year at my school for the ESOL students, and many, many teachers have to be involved for it to happen. I wanted to bake something to say thank you for their continuous smiles despite it being a giant pain in the ass. 

Teachers often comment on how there is a ridiculous amount of sugar and sweets in an elementary school, so I decided to go a bit healthier and make Michelle's delicious homemade granola bars.  

Ingredients:

1 2/3 cup Quick Oats (different that instant oats)
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup honey 
6 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2-3 cups of “toppings” (I added walnuts and chocolate chips)
1 Tbsp water




First, line a square pan with parchment paper (ALERT: this is not the same as wax paper! Sigh...) and lightly grease with oil or butter. Mix together sugar, oats, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Chop the toppings and add them to dry ingredients. 



Now combine peanut butter, honey, butter, and water and mix well.


Combine wet and dry ingredients. Press the mixture into the pan until firm and even. Bake at 350F for about 30 mins.

Yum!!

I bagged them up and put cute tags on them and they were a huge hit!


Thanks, Michelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!