Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunrise Senior Living

I do realize that I failed on this task last month....I didn't volunteer.

I'm telling you, it's not easy to find a one-time volunteer opportunity that fits in your schedule, and you don't get sick on the day it's happening (especially when you work in an elementary school and it's January).

But never fear, this month came through, and I visited the Sunrise Senior Living home in Woodley Park, DC to make a couple of seniors smile.

There were about 10 of us volunteers there, and the coordinator had planned a few hours of activities for us young and old to mingle. 

First, we played "Find Five" - a version of Scategories, where the coordinator named the category and we had to yell out 5 things from the category. The categories ranged from cities in Texas to George Gershwin songs. Clearly some were easier than others.

Then a musician arrived and played the fiddle (Sue! It coulda been you!) for a while. He was really animated and interactive so we were able to call out requests and play "Name that Tune." 

I sat next to a dear, dear woman who told me stories of traveling in the Air Force with her husband. She'd lived in Libya, Germany, France, and 13 different states. 

I left with mixed emotions. Though my new older friend never mentioned anything about her husband besides traveling in the Air Force, I'm pretty confident he had passed away and was not just upstairs. I couldn't help but think how hard it must be to transition to living in that home day in and day out without your life partner. She did say she had family nearby and I hope they visit often. 

I didn't take any pictures inside but here it is from the outside. 


Not too shabby!


11 months down, 1 to go...crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!