Sunday, March 10, 2013

Arlington Hunger Project

This month's volunteer activity ranks up there in awesomeness with the Christmas packages I did in November. 

And I unexpectedly happened upon it on the Arlington Volunteer website the day before it took place. 

It was called the Arlington Hunger Project and was put on by a non-profit called Feeding Children Everywhere.

We made meals for kids right here in Arlington who go to bed hungry. 


It was incredibly awesome for many reasons.

1) It was amazingly organized. They had assembly lines set up. You came in, got a quick pep-talk, and got to work doing your part of the line crazy fast for one hour. And then you were done and a new shift came in.

2) They created a great atmosphere. Fun music, cheers and celebrations when a team filled a box, etc.

3) There were 100,000 meals made by the end of the day!

You stood in a line with your team at a long table and each had a job: scooping lentils, rice, seasoned salt, or spices, holding the bag under the funnel, sealing the bag, or packing the box. 

We moved crazy fast. 


This was my job: the lentils...I scooped a lot of lentils!


This is just a few of the hundreds of boxes that were packed.



Really it was so fun and I'd love to find another Hunger Project somewhere soon.

Wanna join me?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!