Sunday, September 22, 2013

My directional sense here.

I am pretty sure you know that my directional sense has always been less than stellar. 

It is actually really pathetically bad, and many people have commented during various situations in the past that I must not be trying (because I was that bad), but the truth is I am always trying and it has always been so hard for me.

My ex-boyfriend once asked me, "Don't you see a map in your head when you're going somewhere? And, like, when you turn, it turns with you?"

...

WHAT?! ...NO!!  Not even a little bit. Is this normal???

But I am surprising myself here in Denver. 

I am starting to see that map in my head...it's a bit fuzzy, but it's there. 

I am still not great. But I am somewhat less than terrible. 

And I think it can be attributed to 3 reasons:

1) The infamous mountains to the west...


...are seriously pretty helpful when needing to know which direction you are going. (Note: doesn't work as well when you are in the middle of the city surrounded by tall buildings.)

2) I moved here by myself.

I did not grow up here since I was 9, constantly surrounded by 89,746 people who always knew where they were going a lot better than I did.

My parents bought me this map at Barnes and Noble while we were here in March.

I keep it in my purse, and actually go to it before I go to my phone. Which I think is helping me learn the city instead of being Google-map-dependent. (Kara, your dad would be so proud!)


3) This city is crazy easier than the DC metro area.

There are 2 major highways. (This is annoying when trying to get somewhere in traffic, but refreshing when not wanting to be lost.)

One runs east to west and one runs north to south. The end.

All the other streets are in a grid (except a bit in the middle of downtown).

Sometimes I catch myself saying something like, "Oh yeah, isn't that northwest of here?" And think, "Who are you?"

I kinda like it!


1 comment:

Leave a comment!