Sunday, January 04, 2015

Part 2: Krabi, Thailand


Much to my relief, as soon as I walked through customs in China, I was immediately greeted with this sweet face holding a sign with my name in Chinese. 


From the airport, we went back to Laura and Will's house for a couple hours until we had to go right back to the same airport to get on our flight to Thailand. Laura and Will don't have a car there so everything is done in cabs. The cab drivers also don't speak English so you need to have a picture or translation of where you want to go on your phone. Chinese is so hard, if you don't have the exact intonation right on the word you think you're saying in Chinese, you can end up on the complete opposite end of the city than you wanted...all because you put the emphasis on the wrong syllable...seriously. 


Laura had told me about this but I still couldn't believe it when I experienced it. EVERYONE wants to take pictures of Laura and Will's kids. They are cute little white kids, but most especially they have super blonde hair. Laura and Will say that some people from more rural villages literally have never seen anyone like that, or even the people from the bigger cities who have still think it's the most amazing thing they've ever seen and feel the need to take 8 pictures of them, stare, and touch. The kids hate it. It might be okay if it were only every once in a while, but it's a lot so it gets pretty annoying for all of them. 



Okay so first stop - Krabi, Thailand! We arrived to the most amazing hotel I've ever stayed in. Good job Will. And it was about $100 USD/night. There was a pool weaving around the hotel and we stayed on the first floor so that right off our patio was the pool. It was so, so cool and fun. My roommate was Ella. She is 2. You'll see her in future pictures. Everyone else was right next door and it was fun to walk around the patio to find them! 


We were only in Krabi 2 days. We spent the days walking around the town, going to the pool, and going to the beach.




I really tried to taste all new things while I was on this trip. This is us drinking coconut milk out of a coconut. I did not like it. 



We were in Krabi on Christmas Day. Merry Christmas from Thailand! 


A highlight was the taxis in Krabi. They were called tuk-tuks and they were motorcycles with sidecars built on. Everyone got in the sidecar and held on! 



A highlight of all of Thailand was the food. One night we ate at a street market. This is papaya salad, chicken, and mango. Omg the fruit. I could eat papaya and mango all day long.  Everything was super cheap too! We ate for around $5 for every meal. 





Laura's whole fish! Even Lucy thinks it's weird..


Can you spot us all? Owen is riding the sleigh. My roomie and I are Santa. 


When you order a driver/taxi/tuk-tuk to take you to the airport/ferry/wherever, you just never know what kind of vehicle will show up! 



This is us waiting for the ferry to take us to an island off mainland Thailand, called Koh Lanta, where we would spend the next 4 days.  The ferry took 2 hours and we got fried. Though we put lots of sunblock on, it had been rainy and cloudy thus far so it was an intense first exposure to the sun. 




This picture doesn't do it justice at all, but the view from the ferry of all the islands with the green water was breathtaking! 


Arrived to Koh Lanta, Thailand! 


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!