I've already done a post about volunteering this month.
But I also wanted to highlight the Fairhill Flyers, another volunteer activity, because we just had our big meet!
I've been involved in some sort of running program at my elementary school since I first started teaching there in 2006. Initially, I helped bring Girls on the Run to our school, a nationwide program to encourage exercise, healthy eating, and positive body image for young girls. But when half my team couldn't pay the high registration fee (coupled with the fact that I had no idea where that fee was going, because it sure wasn't going to me) we decided to start our own club, free of charge, to include more kids. Fairhill Flyers now has over 60 participants, 2nd to 6th grade, boys and girls. We practice twice a week for an hour, in the fall and spring. We run cross country in the fall, ending with the Pumpkin Pie Run at our school in November. And in the spring we run track, finishing with the Hershey Track meet at Falls Church High School in May. We participated last Friday night and Saturday morning, and we even have a couple kids going on to Regionals in a couple of weeks!
There were many other schools there hoping to have kids make it to the the Regional meet, and then possibly qualify for Nationals in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
There are various running events - 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 4x100 relay
We worked a LOT on staying in their own lanes...they did well!
And also two field events - softball throw, and the standing long jump
Huge heart for this girl...
Cheering on their teammates...
Go Tigers! :)







No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a comment!