Monday, May 26, 2014

A visitor, some exercising, and a couple tornados

I can't complain about the number of visitors I've had this year. Between work conferences, weddings, other relatives out here, and just wanting to visit yours truly...I've done pretty well with visitors. 

My friend, Lauren, from UVA came for an OT clinic this past week. She stayed in the Shoebox with me for 6 whole days! 

We went to Boulder and hiked the Flatirons...


ran around Wash Park...


and shopped, finding some pretty sweet gems on the rack that we just had to try on.


You might be wondering why we were shopping while there is so much outdoor activity to be done. I'm learning that May is a less than ideal month for weather in Denver. 

We shopped because this was happening outside...


We had two tornados touch done in Denver last week. Both during the school day, putting me in a hallway with my 25 kids plus 775 others throughout the building, crouched down in "shelter" position with hands over heads. 

We were completely safe and fine both times, they didn't touch down near us. The first day the kids were scared and crying. The second day they were done with it and crazy. But for the most part, they were amazing considering we were there for 45 minutes and they are 6 years old. 

As soon as Lauren left, I had a busy Memorial Day weekend of bbqs, bikes, and running shoes. 

I have my 62-mile bike race next Sunday, and it touts 30 miles of uphill in the beginning, so I decided to try the infamous "Lookout Mountain" with my training buddies. 




It was 7 (yes only 7) miles of straight uphill, took us over 2 hours (imagine how slow that is) and was by far one of the hardest physical things I've ever done.

I am not completely sure I can actually do this race next Sunday but I will definitely try, and do the best I can. 

Then on Sunday, I headed up to Boulder with friends to run the Bolder Boulder, a HUGE famous 10k race at the university. 




The backdrop was as usual, amazing. 



It reminded me of the Charlottesville 10 miler where spectators in the neighborhood set up slip-n-slides, free beer, donuts, bacon.  Elvis was there, etc.

The best part is we ended in the CU Buffs stadium and ran the last .2 miles with a full stadium cheering and us projected on the Jumbotron. 


Super cool!


This is my great friend from school, Meghan, who I've been doing some recent races with. I am lucky, lucky with the girls I've met here.


And because it would be doing you a disservice to NOT show you pictures of THE most adorable 1 week old on the planet, here are two of my favorite Alexander pictures.



11 days until I see him! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!